Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mums the Word

A friend of mine owns her own landscape and nursery business and every year about this time I pick up flowers for fall.  She, being the expert always wants me to look at something new, something that will bring a variety of texture to the garden.  And being that she is the expert I usually listen. I have put in some really unusual plants, but don't ask me the names, but every year I always pick up this certain  flower which means that she and I will have the same conversation that we always seem to have.
She will say - "Brenda, you know how I feel about mums!" Boy do I ever- How can I forget?  Every year, for years she's told me that mums are the most predictable flower for the garden and that everybody buys mums. 

"I know -I know," I'll tell her again like so many times before, "but I like mums".  She'll rolls her eyes and I'll continue to pick out the jewel toned colored mums.

I will however pick out something unusual and textural so she knows that I've been paying attention all of these years.

Just like mums this conversation about them has become a perennial favorite of mine.   

No comments:

Post a Comment