Sunday, December 30, 2012

Unbelievable




Anyone that knows me knows I love the theater.  If my bank account would cooperate and time would permit I'd have season tickets to every venue in the bi-state area.  But alas, that is not the case.  I do however go as often as possible.  So when I heard that one of my favorite theatrical productions is being re-created for the big screen it gave me that icky feeling.  I immediately had a flashback to 1975 seeing Stephanie Mills in The Wiz and was thrilled when in 1978 it was being made into a movie.  Well, all know how that turned out!

But, today I was pleasantly surprised.  I've heard all of the hype and am a fan of everyone involved, (especially Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway)  Wow oh wow.  

My friend Diane and I arrived early and I'm glad we did.  The theater filled quick with 30 minutes to go and I had eaten half of my popcorn before the movie even started, which really isn't unusual; but after it began I didn't take another morsel, that is unusual!  From the moment  Les Mis began my popcorn became a trash bag for tear soaked napkins.

Usually during any movie you can hear quiet whispers; but not today, and even occasionally - especially the ending there was thunderous applause.

This was as close to live theater without actually being there that I think I will ever experience.  This production has raised the bar so high it would be incredible to see a resurgence of great musicals.

There's only one word I can say about the direction, acting, singing - everything about Les Miserables and that's unbelievable!

No comments:

Post a Comment