Wednesday, May 2, 2012

All the world's a stage

I love the arts - all of the arts but my favorite is musical theater.  Tonight reminded me why.
I just left rehearsals for Annie that’s this year’s summer production by our community theater company Summerstage.

 Even though I personally may have seen or been involved with this perennial favorite many times over the last 30 plus years, tonight for some little girl or even an adult is their very first time. The first time they have been blocked in a number or perhaps even been on a stage.  That’s the beauty of theater, even though it may be a classic it’s always new to someone.  I loved watching the little girls as they hung on every word of the directorial staff.  As they listened intently to direction then sang and danced to “It’s a hard knock life” over and over till they got it right.  I loved watching them smile at each other when they realized that they had gotten it.  

As I looked around the auditorium I couldn’t help but get a little misty eyed, I was looking at people who I went through school with, people who were my teachers, and people who have become by friends.  I saw mothers that I remember as children now bringing their children to be a part of the theatrical experience.

I watched three generations of people that I admire passing their love of theater to the next generation.  That’s what community theater is all about. I’m thrilled that I’ve had the opportunity to be a part of what I love for so many years. 

All the world’s a stage – and who knows, tonight in one of the shy little orphans there may be a future Tony award winner that got her love of theater right here in our community.  

No comments:

Post a Comment