Sunday, May 13, 2012

Vanity vs. Memories




What a great day today.  My brother and niece, my youngest sister, her husband and youngest son, (Her oldest son is in the Navy but he called to talk to his grandma – what a awesome kid) and I met at our parents’ house to spend Mother’s Day together.

After a great meal and great conversation we sat down to watch old home movies.  And I do mean old! Maybe you’re too young to know the kind I mean, the 8mm kind.  I remember when I was a kid dad would run the films in reserve.  We laughed and laughed as we ran backwards in the rain or at Christmas time after we unwrapped the presents we wrapped them back. 

Today we laughed and even cried a little.  Not sad tears but happy tears.  Seeing our parents when they were many years younger than I am now, or seeing our loved ones who are no longer with us.  Even seeing the toys that we loved as kids brought smiles to our faces today just like when we first unwrapped them.

 “I loved that doll” and “oh I remember that little kitchen blender” – I said as I watched myself holding my toys up to my dad so he would film them. We all laughed because of the funny look on my face.  I was squinting because that bright light from the camera was blinding me
 
We laughed at my brother because it looked like he was crying in almost every shot.  Of course he said, “because of my mean sisters!”  He’s the only boy can’t you tell.

As we looked through the boxes of film I noticed that after so many years the films just stopped, I asked my dad why.  “You kids didn’t want your picture taken any longer,” he replied.
 
How sad – Those were great movies. 
 
We are now in the process of getting those old films transferred to DVDs. I wish we had more.  But I’m as much to blame as anyone for our family films ending.  I’m forever saying, “Not me don’t take my picture my hair’s a mess” or “I don’t have any make-up on”. Or my all time favorite “Don’t get my body in there” Really how can they not get your body in there!
 
Not once while I was enjoying these home movies did I or anyone else say, “Hey don’t you think Grandma should’ve put some make-up on!” Or “What’s up with Grandpas hair?”

 Maybe we should all be a little less vain and be more concerned about preserving memories.  
 

1 comment:

  1. What an excellent story. I so agree there is no place for vanity when it comes to making cherished memories, though I have been guilty of it myself.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete